Is the cryptocurrency crash over? See which coins are the biggest winners as prices jump.
The top ten coins by market cap have seen a rise, with mostly double digit rises across the board in the last 24 hours, according to CoinMarketCap. Bitcoin BTC prices have edged up 10% in the last 24 hours at the time of writing to US$9,500, with Ethereum ETH trailing slightly at 9.2% up to $925.
With gains of this size, it’s probably reasonable to assume that some of the biggest gainers will be slipping downwards again in coming hours as people consolidate their earnings, but others might keep climbing.
- Ripple XRP has seen gains of around 11%, possibly buoyed by new hype around Western Union’s Ripple testing and other developing partnerships.
- Bitcoin Cash BCH has seen distinct rises over over 30% in the last week, even against the backdrop of a relatively stagnant market. Although its rise has slowed, it received another 10% bump in the last 24 hours.
- Litecoin LTC has been one of the week’s biggest winners so far, with the last 24 hours in particular ushering in a 33% increase, from about $150 to roughly $215 at the time of writing.
- Cardano ADA received a sharp pump last weekend followed by a readjustment come Monday. It’s yet to recover those weekend highs, but has edged up 6.5% in the last 24 hours.
- Stellar XLM has climbed up 10% in the last 24 hours, continuing a step by step rise throughout the week. The new Stellarport decentralised exchange may boosted its trading over the last couple of days.
- NEO has continued its recent climbs, bumping up 10.2% to about US$122 and edging n earer to its January highs.
- EOS received mild gains of 8.25%, reaching around the $10 price mark.
- IOTA has climbed steadily over the last 48 odd hours, despite erratic prices before then, and is showing a 12.5% increase.
Other notable gains outside the top 10 market cap coins include:
- Monero XMR (number 13): The privacy coin rose 17.75% over the last 24 hours but may be approaching a downswing
- VeChain VEN (number 18): VeChain is up to the $5 mark, rising 18% over the last 24 hours. If its price history is any indication then this too might be followed by a readjustment.
- OmiseGO OMG (number 22): A 20% rise in the last 24 hours might cement some of the solid gains it’s seen over the last few days. This might be following increasing awareness of the coin.
- RChain RHOC (number 32): Up 35% in the last 24 hours, marking a notable gain. This is a significant step in its price history, and it might soon break its brief early January all-time-high if gains continue.
- DragonChain DRGN (number 50): Up 30% after stop and start growth. This business blockchain system originated in Disney’s offices, but has since departed to seek its fortune. At this rate it might find it.
- Golem GNT (number 64): Up 18.75% in the last 24 hours despite a marked sell-off. Although still well below half of its December peak price, the “supercomputer coin” might be gaining ground again.
This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of cryptocurrency or any specific provider, service or offering. It is not a recommendation to trade. Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information. You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VEN, XLM, XRB, SALT